Honorary Consulate General of Iceland

Honorary Consulate General of Iceland

Please follow and like us:


Knight Commander of Francis I

Mica Mosbacher is the Consulate General of Iceland in Houston and Central Texas. She was commissioned as an Honorary Consul in March of 2010 by the Foreign Ministry of Iceland and concurrently accredited by the U. S. State Department.

Proud of her Icelandic roots, her position involves promoting culture and trade opportunities and protecting the rights of Icelanders in Texas.

The Consulate of Iceland in Houston is responsible for developing economic, scientific and cultural relations between Texas and Iceland.

Passport and Visa


Application and Renewal for Icelandic citizens:

Icelanders in the United States can apply for a Icelandic Passport at the Embassy in Washington. Passport applications are processed by appointment only between 9:30 am – 11:00 am (due to time difference between Iceland and US). Tel: 202-265-6653.

The Embassy takes the photograph of the applicant. Also fingerprints are taken of individuals older than 12. As of 01/01/2014 the cost is USD 89. For children under 18 and seniors over 66 the cost is USD 40. We accept cash or checks only.

After applying it takes 2-3 weeks for the applicant to receive the new passport.

For children both parents need to be present. If both parents can not be present a certified consent form must be provided from the parent that is absent. Unless proof of sole custody is shown.

Icelandic Consulates can no longer accept applications for Icelandic passports. Consulates can prolong the validity of Icelandic Passports but only for one year as of the date that it expired.

Emergency Passports are only issued to Icelandic Citizens that are not able to apply for new passports in Iceland or at the Embassy in Washington. It should be noted that Emergency Passports are not ideal travel documents and not machine readable.

For further information please click here

NOTE ! ! Name changes. If the applicant has taken its spouse last name during marriage, you must report that to the Icelandic National Registry. Name changes are not automatic during marriage. See: http://www.skra.is


US citizens can travel to Iceland on holiday or business for 90 days or less, in accordance with the Visa Waiver Program.

US citizens wanting to stay longer or reside in Iceland must apply for a residence permit at the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

Travelers to Iceland must be in possession of a passport, valid at least for three months beyond their intended stay. In addition to that, nationals of many countries are required to obtain a visa prior to entering Iceland. A list of those countries can be seen by clicking here

Since Iceland became a member of the Schengen Visa Agreement there are 4 offices in the United States that issue visas on Iceland’s behalf.

Please contact the office nearest you.

Washington, DC

The Swedish Embassy


New York, NY

The Consulate General of Denmark

Tel: +212-223-4545

Houston, TX

The Royal Norwegian Consulate General

Tel: +713-521-2900

San Fransisco, CA

The Royal Norwegian Consulate General

Tel: +415-986-0766

For information on extended tourist visas, residence and employment permits, please visit the website of the Directorate of Immigration of Iceland.